My Hysterectomy Story: The First Appointment

After I had discovered a mass on my lower abdomen, I called an OB/GYN the same day to make an appointment.  I had never seen an OB/GYN in Greenville; we moved here from Johnson City, TN September 2012 shortly after my 4th child was born. After having a normal Pap at my 6-week postpartum checkup (March 2012), my OB/GYN in Tennessee told me that I didn’t need to have another Pap for 3 more years.

I also have to admit, I was extremely fond of my former OB/GYN, Dr. H; I could write PAGES about how much he helped me after having pelvic floor damage from the birth of my first child and how wonderful he was delivering my 3 subsequent children.  He was an AMAZING OB/GYN and I am convinced I will not have another like him.  So, when the 3-year mark passed in March 2015, I was dreading finding another doctor I could trust with this particular area of my healthcare.

But now that I needed to make this appointment with a GYN, I was really searching for someone who could just fit me in their schedule.  I didn’t really care WHO I saw, I just wanted to be seen.  The earliest appointment I could find was 3 weeks out (scheduled Dec 28, 2015), which was too far out in my opinion, but it was the best that could be done.

Shortly after I scheduled the appointment, my mother called and told me that they would watch the kids for me for a few nights to help me out during the busy holidays (at this point, no one knew about the Thing except me and Patrick).  I was so relieved to have some respite from my responsibilities with the children, but I also had this Thing I needed to pay attention to, so on a whim, I called the OB/GYN right after I dropped off the kids and asked if they happened to have an available appointment. And by grace, they had an opening!!!! So I was able to see a doctor the very next day (December 15th) rather than 2 weeks later. I was relieved!  

On the 15th, I was going into my appointment fully expecting answers.  Needless to say, I was highly disappointed with how it all turned out.  The OB/GYN I was scheduled to see, Dr. J, was very nice, but I was expecting a full exam (Pap) and an ultrasound, neither of which I received.  Dr. J asked me a lot of questions and checked my uterus, which she told me it felt large and that I probably had a large fibroid but she couldn’t be certain until we had an ultrasound.  The ultrasound technician was already gone for the day, so I could not get answers that day.  I was highly emotional and very upset because I wanted to leave with answers and all I left with that day was another appointment and more questions. Thankfully, the appointment was for an ultrasound the next day and was scheduled in plenty of time before I had to go pick up the kids from my parents house.
Before I left the OB/GYN’s office, I told her I was anxious about my diagnosis (or lack thereof) and I wasn’t sure where I should put my mind on my future health.  She assured me that I should focus on Christmas and enjoying my kids over the Christmas season.  I appreciated her advice and decided to heed it. I was highly anticipating the appointment the next day, with the hope of some answers.

  • Parents who served me by keeping my 4 kids for a few days, without knowing the mental stress I was under regarding my health
  • An available GYN appointment sooner rather than later
  • An available second GYN appointment the very next day while my kids were still at my parents house; no need to arrange additional childcare!!! Yay!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment